Saturday, January 17, 2009

Back on the Wagon


Well, here I am again. In the interval since July 4, 2007 and now, many things happened, most of them not suitable for a blog. Suffice to say that I ate back on all the weight that I lost, every last pound of it, except maybe for two.

My foster-daughter is getting married in just over a month. I don't want to be the whale in the pictures (especially since I'm wearing gray, a whale color) so I'm back on Weight Watchers. My success has been stellar--in just under two weeks, I've lost around eight pounds. I'm back in those size 18 jeans I was so happy to buy, and truthfully, I'm happy to be in them again. A jacket that I bought in a fit of optimism in November needs about five more pounds to be right, so that's good, too.

How do I feel about this? Well, something interesting happened during the weight loss. Not only did I give away all my big clothes, leaving me with not much to wear once I gained the weight back, I realized that for all my kicking and screaming, I had gotten used to being the smaller me. I was no longer comfortable at my higher weight. I hated it, in fact, more than I ever hated it before.

That's without even talking about the physical toll it was taking on me. 250 pounds seems to be the top weight my particular body can take without breaking down, without quitting, without setting me firmly on the road to being the mother in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". It's good, in a way....I know I'll never weigh 300 pounds, say, because I couldn't stand it.

I also lost the first five pounds very quickly, quickly enough to notice what a huge difference even the five pounds made. I can be pretty dense about stuff, but boom! five pounds gone! makes even me take notice.

Fewer aches. Fewer pains. My 6 Advil a day habit seems to be down to 2. (Maybe 4. I have a cold and a lot of attendant aches from that). I can make dinner without my lower back screaming for mercy. I hope to be not so knackered, to use that handy British term, after a day on my feet at work. I need (NEED!!!!) to get back into my high heels. I'm not giving up high heels!

So, class, what have we learned? You can get used to a lower weight, too. You can find out how much your body can stand, and then back off from that point.

You can always come home again, at least to Weight Watchers.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Silke, my dear friend! I am so glad to see you posting again! I'm envious of that weight loss; I've only lost 2 pounds this week. *groan*

Keep it up and you'll be even more gorgeous at that wedding.

I'm here for you, as always.

xoxoxo

Rote Silke said...

No, no, you've ALREADY lost two pounds this week! Frame it right, girl!