Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Today's a biggie

Or a smallie, depending on your outlook. I have, as of today, lost 30 pounds. It was a long stretch there where not much was going on, but I seem to have gone through that. Now that I've seen some progress again, I'm motivated to go on.

I cleaned my closet on Monday. To say that it was a mess insults messes. I threw out unbelievable amounts of stuff. I managed to part with clothes that I bought in 1992. I must have thrown out 10 black t-shirts, and I still have 11. (I like black t-shirts, what can I say? My daughter was going to wear a black t-shirt and a denim skirt and go as me on Halloween last year). I now have my clothes organized. This is aided by the fact that there's no point in storing sweaters, since they're not going to fit. I am living entirely in the present moment.

I have a wardrobe again, too. It's a size 18 now, not a size 20, and I like it. But, as I go down, and clothes start to not fit, I can start to cycle them out, because as I've already said, all size whatevers are not created equal. I will probably institute the one in, one out rule. I never thought I'd be in a situation to do that, I'm far too untidy, but I think this time I could.

It's quite a novel feeling to go stand in my closet and figure out what I want to wear, rather than going through all the clothes that were piled around. I have skirts hung, shirts, I have t-shirts folded. I know how many pairs of shoes--well, sort of--I have. (I lost track at 40....that's where the, oh, yeah, and those, set in). I still have a lot of work to do in my room, but I've made a start.

I read somewhere that when you start taking better care of yourself you're less tolerant of mess in other parts of your life. That may very well be true. I can feel it beginning already.

So...I've reached a milestone. I still have 75 pounds to lose, but that's not the 105 I started with. I can look back and see how far I've come.

I'm inspired to go on.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Congratulations, Silke! :)