Saturday, April 21, 2007

Kohl's

Strange to say, I think it just became my new favorite store. I went there yesterday hoping for not much (and actually, looking for a half-slip, which is a whole other story) and found that was where all the affordably priced clothes had gone.

Around here, Filene's turned into Macy's. Actually, G. Fox turned into Filene's, turned into Macy's. The switch from G. Fox (an old Hartford tradition) was not much; the switch from Filene's to Macy's was more. They changed all the brands. They decimated the women's department. They have more upscale stuff in Misses, I'll give you that, but unfortunately, I'm not in Misses, yet, and I liked having a choice in women's. Also, I liked having a choice of price points. And womens' sizes are tricky things. All brands are not created equal. You can get clothes that are really cute, and there are lines (Bandolino being one of them, and Bandolino being one of the brands that vanished) that carry the same items from petites to womens, but there are womens sizes that just look awful. So anyway, I went to Kohl's, poked around in the womens department and came home with two skirts. (This is another issue for me. I wear skirts. I look better in skirts, I feel better in skirts, my legs are definitely one of my strong points, and my stomach and butt are not--so remind me again, why would I be wearing something that accentuates my "problem areas" and covers up my strong points?) I actually came home with two skirts and two half-slips for less then $75, which also made me very happy. The skirts will do me nicely for the next six weeks or so, and I feel confident that I will be able to find more clothes that won't break the bank, if I just want something new once in a while.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Wish we had a Kohls here! And, btw, I read something by a designer in a fashion magazine who said that slips are outdated. What?! I love slips! They are so elegant, feel nice against your skin, and always make me feel like Liz Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Who listens to those designers anyway?

Rote Silke said...

Well, I'm much more for the fact that they don't let people look through your skirt, not to mention the cling factor. Not every single skirt or dress on earth is lined.

Yeah, Kohl's is pretty okay. I'm looking forward to being able to shop the regular sizes at Target, but the specialty designers are all doing juniors, not misses. But there's Isaac.....

Michele said...

Isaac is awesome! I have a few of his items from Target, namely shoes because I can always find them in my size.